Sunday 1 May 2011

The Wedding (inevitably)

I know it has been covered to death but I'm going to add my piece. I have been brought up a staunch anti-royalist and therefore didn't give two hoots about the wedding. Since the announcement of their engagement I've been asked so many times in France, 'Are you excited about the wedding?' 'How do you feel about the wedding?' I find this slightly bizarre as the French got rid of their monarchy over 200 years ago but they are fascinated by ours. The amount of coverage there has been here is mad. It's been in all the papers, magazines, television programmes for months. However my view changed and all thanks to Clare. About a month ago she announced her intention to hold a wedding party and though initially sceptical I gradually began to look forward to it more and more. I found knitting patterns for corgi's, all manner of union jack and Kate and William tack, started following the rumours about who was going to be designing the dress. And when it came to the big day, all I wanted to do was make sure I could watch it somewhere. So I met Clare and some other girls in an English pub to watch it. And got thoroughly into it. Although we were actually the only English people in there and they were showing it in French. Bof. Anyway, didn't she look beautiful, I mean absolutely stunning. What a lucky Prince William. Princess Beatrice let me down though, from this day forth I won't accept any comparisons between her and myself, she looked atrocious. Sorry Bea.
When the girls got home from school I showed them some highlights of the wedding, as they are obsessed with the idea of princesses, and they were both suitably wowed.
The party in the evening was a great success. Clare and her friend had made an amazing feast for us and luckily the rain held off so we managed to sit in the courtyard with bunting, a union jack table cloth and a life size cardboard cut-out of Kate and Will looking over us. A mini-Britain in Paris. Congratulations and thank you Clare for a wonderful night and bringing out the (little) royalist in me.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Beatrice. I'm sure she'll be devastated to read that you're no longer her fan'

    ReplyDelete