Saturday 2 October 2010

Reading for pleasure?

During my month here, one of the things I've enjoyed is the amount of time I have where I am able to read! I never had enough time to read for pleasure when I was at university as whenever I was reading I always felt guilty if it wasn't a history book. Now though, I have a 35 minute train ride into Paris which is the perfect time to do some quality reading.

For those readers out there I thought i would give you some tips on what I've enjoyed recently. I've just finished 'If on a winter's night a traveller' by Italo Calvino. It's the story of a man who is trying to read 'If on a winter's night a traveller' but after realising it is misprinted he tries to find the rest of the book. What follows is his search for the rest of the book but instead he keeps finding new chapters of different books. It therefore is a collection of short stories with one story of the original reader continuing all the way through. I thought it was an interesting idea but also found it a little tiresome because I just wanted one single story but instead had to keep on jumping between new ones.

Before that however I read a brilliant book which I thoroughly recommend to everyone called 'The Secert History' by Donna Tart. It's a brilliant story about a group of American university students who study classics. They are a small very close-knit mysterious group and you are always wondering what's going on beneath the surface. You find out straight away (so don't worry I'm not spoiling anything!) that they kill their friend and from that moment you are gripped! It's superb! Go and read it!

And of course I've been reading some old favourites; 'The Tale of Peter Rabbit', 'Angelina Ballerina' and 'Winnie the Witch'. Saskia is besotted with Peter Rabbit at the moment and we have been reading it at least once every day! My favourite Beatrix Potter story was always the 'Tailor of Gloucester'. I used to love watching the television series of her stories. However I've now moved back onto the grown-ups books and have just started 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' by Stieg Larsson. I know I'm a bit behind the trend but better late than never 'ey.

No comments:

Post a Comment